Breton ancient songs and legends are the main source of inspiration for Astrakan Project, but their passion for travels across Europe and long stays in Greece and Turkey spice up the very traditional interpretation with Balkan and Oriental rhythms. Their strong on-stage presence creates a magical atmosphere and makes their performances feel like a travel in time or maybe even to a parallel world…
Since their debut in Istanbul, the duet has performed over 120 concerts in 15 countries, released 5 albums, as well as several unique and powerful art, street-art and collaborative side-projects. Astrakan Project is the only Breton group featured on a fRoots magazine cover (June 2016).
- July, 11th 2020, 7teaStories, Скворечник – міський еко простір, Kyiv, Ukraine
- August, 8th 2019, Landjuweel festival, Ruigoord, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- April, 21th 2019, A Pracinha, Beja, Portugal (7pm, Ressurreição da Revolução, for 45 years Portuguese revolution)
- April, 4th 2019, Can balmes, Santa María De Palautordera, Catalonia, Spain
- April, 4th 2017, Walthers Musikcafé, Skanderborg, Denmark
- March, 11th 2017, Breite63, Saarbrücken, Germany
- March, 9th 2017, Sargfabrik, Vienna, Austria
- November, 10th 2016, Festival Yaouank, Rennes, Brittany, France
- November, 20th 2016, Mission Bretonne, Paris, France
- August, 23rd, Folk East festival, Little Glenham, Suffolk, UK
- July, 11-12th 2015, Folk on the Lawn festival , Tinters, Wales, UK
- June, 11-12-13-14 2015, Kiev, Ukraine
- May, 29th 2015, Seyr-î Mesel, Beyoğlu, Istanbul, Turkey
- May, 19th 2015, To Avgo, Salonique, Greece
- October, 4th 2014, Breizh in The City festival, Rich Mix, London, UK
- July, 21th 2014, FMM – Festival Mùsicas do Mundo, Sines, Portugal
- June, 7th 2014, ‘t Ey, Belsele, Belgium
- February 2nd 2014, C.C. Renée Magritte, Lessines, Belgium
- December 29th 2012, Macrocosm Music Festival, Eilissos, Athens, Greece
- April the 26th 2012, Sin El Fil, CERMAA, Beirut, Lebanon
- April the 22nd 2011 Nublu Jazz Festival, Beyoğlu, Istanbul, Turkey
And over 120 concerts across 15 countries, as well as live performances on TV and radio shows. (full list here: https://astrakanproject.com/tourdates/)
Book & studio album. Released Sept.2018 – fRoots playlist oct. 2018 & fRoots compilation winter 2018
B, studio album. Released Oct. 2014 – Album Choice fRoots – **** Songlines
Within the Circle, studio digital EP. Released Nov. 2013
Astrakan Project, studio album. Released Sept. 2012 – Album Choice fRoots
Live in Lebanon, live EP, digital edition. Released May 2012.
Side Projects, EPs, Singles, Art Experiences.
Single video project. Released June 2020. Collaborative video project with contributions from all over the world, performing Kate Bush’ hit “Running Up That Hill” in Breton. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ0R6m_t7ms)
Single video project. Released April 2021. Collaborative video project and mash up, with protest song lyrics on the world-famous hit “Son ar Chistr” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijg1P7NfNqI )
Single video project. Released June 2021. A double version from the same song, with a road-trip/street art video project, and a collab with musician and musicologist Amine Beyhom from Beirut. Comes with a digital 48 pages art-book with lyrics, translations, and thoughts about choices and sacrifices. (videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ3Jf3gtI_E and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y498NRwtjJs )
A painting to say Goodbye. Released June 2021. An art experience video project about the creative cycle, transformation through destruction.
A Kurdish contemporary song from Kardesh Türküler, with a part translated into Breton, and with an art video created for International Women’s Day 2021 by the request of Os Resurrectos (Beja Portugal)
Songlines (February 2014 n°106)
“Murky myth and misery becomes surprisingly uplifting.” (**** review)
fRoots (July 2013 n°361)
“Gloriously full-throated, truly inspiring Breton singing and melodies
from Simone Alves […] roaring, intricate, fiery, imaginative
accompaniments” Ian Anderson
Santa Sangre (12.10.2014)
“Astrakan Project’s new album is the purifying fire we all must pass
through at one point or another while we live; there is no light without
darkness and there can be no hope if there is not first bruising and
omnipotent despair.” Peter Marks
YoutTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/astrakanproject (over 150 videos incl. art experiences, lives, teasers, vlogs, interviews, etc…)
Press Picture (click to enlarge and save)
Simone Alves astrakanproject [ @ ] gmail.com / +33 6 66 09 39 60
- for radio programs: we can give interviews in French, English, Portuguese, Dutch and German, and with little translation help, in Turkish.
- for distributors: we can agree on a reduced price starting from 10 copies.
- we also can offer a couple of workshops/master-classes, about Breton music, including Celtic Breton guitar and violin, but also more generally history and evolution of Breton music. Just request for a full description.
A few files to be downloaded. We also can make a few tunes available on download for promotion, just ask us !
Astrakan Project Technical Rider 2021 en (click for PDF link)
Posters for live performances (click to enlarge and save)
Bio + press release : Astrakan Bio EnglishAstrakan Project Press Book
Press release only : Astrakan Press Review English